FISHKILL, N.Y. - Akon has pleaded not to criminal charges filed after he tossed a 15-year-old boy off the stage at a concert earlier this year. The 34-year-old hip-hop star was released on his own recognizance following his brief court appearance Monday in Fishkill. He was charged with endangering the welfare of a minor and second-degree harassment.
Another fan, Abby Rosa, said she suffered a concussion when a teenage boy Akon threw off the stage fell on her during the June 3 concert at the local minor league baseball stadium.
The case was adjourned until January.
A town justice told Akon that his lawyer can stand in for him at future court appearances and he does not have to appear. Akon did not comment as he left the courthouse.
"It was never Akon's intention to violate the law," the singer's Manhattan lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, said. "This unfortunate incident was a spontaneous reaction during a live concert that Akon deeply regrets."
Akon's latest album, "Konvicted," has sold more than 1 million copies in the United States. His hits include "Don't Matter," "I Wanna Love You" with Snoop Dogg and "Smack That" with Eminem.(-c/o yahoo.com)